Welcome to SubtiWiki! - Bacillus subtilis annotation the "wiki" way!
- The 7th International Conference on Gram-positive Microorganisms (17th International Conference on Bacilli) organized by Marta Perego, Jim Hoch, and Hendrik Szurmant is going to take place from June 23 - 27, 2013, in Montecatini Terme in lovely Tuscany, Italy, conference website, contact
- The 6th European Spores Conference will be held in London from April 9 to April 11, 2014. The meeting will be organized by Simon Cutting and Imrich Barak, website, contact
- Past conferences
New: Subtiwiki is now on Facebook - please give it a +1!
Now online: A description of SubtiWiki, SubtiPathways, and SubtInteract in the 2012 Database issue of Nucleic Acids Research
Paper of the month: May 2013
- Paul et al. demonstrate that the orientation of the genes on the chromosome has a significant impact on their evolution: Gene encoded on the lagging strand evolve faster than those on the leading strand. This faster evolution is caused by collisions between the DNA replication and transcription machineries that result in DNA damage and subsequent fixation of errors as mutations. Importantly, essential genes are strongly underrepresented on the lagging strand thus providing a "built-in" protection of the encoded important proteins against possible deleterious mutations.
- Relevant SubtiWiki pages: transcription, DNA replication, essential genes
New procedure for account creation:
- Due to massive spam attacks, we had to change our policy for the creation of accounts. If you want to create an account, just send me a mail. We will create the account for you as quickly as possible, then you can change your password. This does not affect existing accounts, which remain active.
- Please remember that all members of the Bacillus community are invited to create accounts and to contribute to SubtiWiki!
News in SubtiWiki:
- April 2013: SubtiWiki uses a new, faster Mediawiki platform! The times for page access are significantly reduced. Enjoy!
- March 2013: updated Excel files that map all genes to categories and regulons as well as the general updated identity mapping of all genes were uploaded.
- October 2012: the essential genes have been categorized
- September 2012: 300 mutant strains available at the BGSC were added to the corresponding gene pages
- August 2012: SubtiExpress, the new compagnon of SubtiWiki devoted to gene expression is online! Try it out!
- April 2012: Links for expression data under 104 different conditions (based on Nicolas et al., 2012) have been added to the expression section of the individual gene pages
- April 2011: SubtInteract, a presentation of protein-protein interactions in B. subtilis, is online!
- December 2010: SubtiCellPublisher allows the conversion of CellDesigner diagrams to navigatable presentations in the style of SubtiPathways
- December 2010: all genes are linked to regulons, and the pages of the regulons provide an overview on all genes that are members of this specific regulon.
- December 2010: all genes/proteins are linked to categories, and the pages of the categories provide an overview on all genes/proteins that are members of this specific category.
Publications describing SubtiWiki and SubtiPathways: